SMS Marketing, better known as Text Messaging, is a direct, quick, and effective way to reach prospects and clients. With over 90% of text messages being opened and read within 3 minutes, it offers unparalleled open and response rates compared to other marketing channels like email.
What is SMS Marketing?
SMS stands for Short Message Service. SMS marketing is simply the use of text messaging to communicate promotions, offers, reminders, and other marketing messages directly to your clients’ mobile phones.
Unlike email marketing which can get lost in crowded inboxes, SMS cuts through the noise since it pops up immediately on the user’s phone screen. And since most people have their phones on them at all times, you can be sure your message will be seen.
Benefits of SMS Marketing
High open rates – almost everyone reads text messages shortly after receiving them. This gives your messages a much higher chance of being seen.
Improved client engagement – SMS creates a more personal connection with clients by communicating directly over their mobile phones – which leads to better engagement.
Real-time communication – send and receive messages instantly with clients for time-sensitive promotions or alerts.
- Works on any mobile phone – no need for a smartphone or mobile app.
Targeted campaigns – SMS allows you to segment your clients based on preferences and send targeted offers that are more relevant.
Analytics – get data on open rates, click-through rates, and other metrics to refine your campaigns.
- Cost-effective – SMS costs much less than other marketing channels like print, TV, and radio. The return on investment is very high.
- Can come across as intrusive if overused.
- Limited message length (160 characters max).
- Mobile carriers now offer spam filters for SMS.
- No formatting or attachments like email.
Overall, the advantages heavily outweigh the potential cons. As long as you get consent first and respect the user, SMS presents a huge opportunity for lead generation and sales.
How To Use SMS Marketing
Here are some tips on how to effectively leverage SMS for your business:
- Get consent first – never send unsolicited messages. Have clients and prospects opt-in by checking a box on your website, on feedback forms, or through sign-up forms.
- Consistently and prominently identify your business at the beginning of every text message you send to your subscribers. By including your name or brand at the start, you immediately establish a connection and make it evident who is sending the message.
- Send relevant and valuable content – only send messages that would genuinely interest your subscribers based on their preferences and history with your brand. Mix promotional content with value-added content. For example: you can send reminders, exclusive offers, event invitations, coupon codes, or even just entertaining content.
- Personalize the messages with their name when possible.
- Time it right – pay attention to when your clients are most responsive. You may get better results by sending messages in the mornings or evenings when people are more likely to have time to engage.
- Automate campaigns – the right marketing automation platform allows you to schedule and automate campaigns to save time.
- Track performance – use SMS analytics to see open rates, clicks, opt-outs, and optimize future messages. A/B test content when possible.
- Combine SMS with other channels – use SMS to supplement your email, social media, and advertising campaigns.
- Give opt-out option – always include instructions in your message for how to opt out of future messages. This is required by anti-spam laws.
- Make sure your website is optimized for mobile screens, so you can deliver a seamless browsing experience for users.
- Use an SMS platform that has a user-friendly interface and offers contact management, message scheduling, and analytics. It should also integrate with your other software platforms.
SMS marketing provides a simple yet highly effective channel for all businesses to connect and engage with prospects and clients.
Ready to get started with SMS marketing?
Our team can help you set up SMS that seamlessly integrates with your existing systems, and develop effective campaigns tailored to your business.
BersonDeanStevens has been a recognized brand strategy and marketing leader for over 25 years. We work in partnership with you to differentiate your brand and achieve your business goals. Client list.