Increasing conversion rates is a top digital priority for marketers this year, and a new study from Adobe offers insights into the ways in which the top 20% of performers (by conversion rate) differ from the other 80%. Among the highlights, the survey results indicate that the top 20% are more likely to use testing as a form of decision-making, and are 54% more likely to be allocating more than 5% of their marketing budgets to optimization activities.
In fact, 1 in 10 top performers reported directing more than one-quarter of their total marketing budgets to optimization activities (including agency fees, professional services, technology), versus 5% of the bottom 80%.
Not surprisingly, the top-performers were more likely than the rest to use a range of customer experience measurement and optimization tactics. Some of the biggest gaps were for audience segmentation (+111%), use of mobile analytics (+90%) and performing A/B testing (+60%).
Also of note: the top 20% was almost twice as likely as the rest to report that multiple departments have input into the optimization process (15% vs. 8%). They were also more likely to use an automated program to determine significance and program winners and far less likely to use manual testing and analysis.
Finally, the study’s results indicate that top-performers are more attuned to mobile than their counterparts: some 83% said that it is very (41%) or somewhat (42%) important to focus on mobile to support their cross-channel efforts this year. By contrast, a relatively smaller two-thirds of the other respondents placed that degree of importance on mobile.
About the Data: The Adobe 2014 Digital Marketing Optimization Survey had more than 1,000 respondents globally – 60% from North America, 27% from Europe, and 13% from Asia.