Online marketers top marketing goals:
• Growing long-term relationships with customers.
• Enhancing the customer experience across channels.
Per Forrester Consulting reports released this month.
Marketers should coordinate marketing campaigns that reach individual customers across multiple channels, including mobile marketing, social media and e-mail, instead of concentrating too much on online marketing campaigns that try to reach a broad audience without interacting with individuals directly.
Despite the growth of marketing tools for reaching customers with personalized offers, through targeted marketing, most companies are stuck in an old campaign mindset without taking efforts to coordinate targeted campaigns across channels.
Forrester Consulting, a division of Forrester Research Inc., conducted the study of 200 marketers in the United States and the United Kingdom in January and February on behalf of Responsys, a provider of e-mail marketing services. Forrester Consulting conducted additional follow-up interviews with marketers in early October.
The study lists the percentages of marketers who say the following marketing goals are among their top three:
● Grow long-term customer relationships, 48%;
● Enhance customer experience across channels, 45%;
● Increase number of new customers, 42%;
● Improve cross-sell or upsell sales volumes to existing customers, 42%;
● Increase customer lifetime value, 36%;
● Improve marketing return on investment, 34%;
● Reduce customer attrition rates, 30%;
● Reduce expenses/improve efficiency, 29%.
But when Forrester asked marketers which marketing channels they plan to spend more on in 2014, it found a stronger focus on untargeted, mass marketing compared with targeted marketing.
The study lists the percentages of marketers who say they plan to increase investment in the following marketing strategies:
● Paid search advertising, 61%;
● E-mail marketing (batched and untargeted), 59%;
● E-mail marketing (targeted), 58%;
● Display ads (untargeted), 58%;
● Mobile marketing (push notifications, text messages), 52%;
● Retargeted display ads, 50%
● Social media ads (untargeted), 39%;
● Mobile ads (untargeted), 38%;
● Social marketing (individually addressable based on customer’s social ID), 37%
● Web site targeted ads (behavioral or targeted on customer relationship management data), 29%.